The Most Revd. Nicholas Dikeriehi Orogodo Okoh was born on 10th November, 1952 at Owa-Alero, Ika North East Local Government Area, Delta State to Mr. Stephen Chinakwe and Mrs. Nwagho Okoh. Without intending to be modest, his parents were poor peasant farmers, who carried out mere subsistence farming.
He attended St. Michael’s (Anglican) School, Owa-Alero from 1958-1964 where he obtained his First School Leaving Certificate. He had a four-year stint in business under one of his uncles. He later established his own business, only to abandon it and joined the Nigerian Army in 1969, while still a confirmation candidate. He was to be confirmed 6years later by Bishop Idowu at St. Stephen’s Cathedral Ondo while at VCLC, Akure. The terrible experience and uncertainty of life in the war-front made the young Nicholas to surrender to God.
In 1970, at the end of hostilities, under the wrong influence of fellow soldiers, he backslided, until early 1971, when under a circumstantial experience he broke down completely and offered himself to the LORD. Within three months, he read the whole bible from Genesis to Revelation. His life was transformed. Thereafter he became a freelance Evangelist, gathering and leading many young people in his group. He continued his education and passed his O/L G.C.E. in 1974 and A/L G.C.E. in 1976, by which time he was already at Vining Christian Leadership Centre, where he trained as Catechist from 1975-1976. He was admitted to Immanuel College of Theology, Ibadan for his Pastoral Studies (1976-1979). There he obtained a Diploma in Religious Studies, and Diploma in Theology.
After his Ordination in July, 1979 he was appointed 3 Armoured Division Garrison Chaplain, Jos. Later that same year, he left for the University of Ibadan (1979-1982), where he obtained his B.A. (Hons). He returned to the same University (1984-1985) for the M.A. Degree.
He got married to Miss Nkasiobi Amaechi on October 4, 1986. The marriage is blessed with 5 children.
The Most Revd. Nicholas Okoh had the following appointments in the Nigerian Army:
- Garrison Chaplain, 3 Armoured Division, N.A, Jos in 1979
- Vicar St. Luke’s Military Church, Yaba Lagos 1982-1984
- Vicar – All Saints (A.H.Q) Church, Abalti Barracks and A.H.Q Garrison Chaplain (PROT) from 1984-1989.
- Assistant Director, 2 Mechanized Division Chap. (PROT) and Vicar, All Souls Military Church, Ibadan from 1990-1991.
- Vicar St. Augustine’s Military Church (PROT), Mokola, Ibadan and 2 Division Garrison Chaplain from 1992 – 1993
- Deputy Director Chaplain, 3 Armoured Division and Vicar All Saints Military Church, Rukuba, Jos from 1993-1997
- Deputy Director, 1 Mechanized Division Chaplain (PROT) and Vicar – St. Luke’s Military Church, Kaduna from 1997-1999.
- Assistant Director Chaplain (PROT) AHQ Group of Churches, Lagos from 1999-2001.
- Colonel Co-ordinate, HQ DCSP Lagos.
- Vicar – All Saints (HQ) Church, Abalti Barracks, Western Avenue, Surulere, Lagos.
Archbishop Nicholas Okoh was commissioned a Lieutenant on November 1, 1982.
He was promoted Captain on November 1, 1986. Again he rose to the Rank of Major on November 1, 1991 and on November 1, 1996, he was promoted Lieutenant Colonel in the Nigerian Army, a position he held before the House of Bishops elected him Bishop of Asaba in March, 2001.
With his election, Archbishop Nicholas Okoh became the second Bishop of the Diocese of Asaba. He was elected Archbishop, Bendel Ecclesiastical Province by the Episcopal Synod on 22nd July, 2005.
SUMMARY OF CHURCH PREFERMENT
- Ordained Deacon – July, 1979
- Priest – July, 1980
- Canon – 1987
- Archdeacon – April, 1991
- Consecrated Bishop – May, 2001
- Elected Archbishop – July, 2005
- Elected Primate of All Nigeria – September, 2009
· Presented as Primate of All Nigeria – March, 2010